Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have just installed a Painless 10120 wire harness and new

Customer Question

I have just installed a Painless 10120 wire harness and new 200 amp alternator..Now when I try to hook up power to the battery my 60 amp maxi-fuse continues to blow.
I have put my power tester on continuity and hooked it up to the positive terminal for the battery and when I touch the body of the alternator or any part of the engine I get continuity.
This tells me that when I try to install the maxi fuse I am now making a dead short for some reason and I can not figure out why. I have triple checked my wiring and it is right so why do I blow a 60 amp fuse and how the H. am I getting continuity from positive terminal to all grounded areas of my engine.
I don't think it matter but the engine is a 351 Windsor/408 STroker.
With the Painless 10120 harness you need to wire it as per instructions for PP-662 if you are using an alternator over 65 amps.
This is a time sensitive situation in that I am supposed to be leaving on holidays in 4 hours and I need this car so I hope you can help.
This is our Biggest long weekend of the year in Canada so I can not see a mechanic here,m all are gone for long weekend.
I will scan the PP-662 instructions and maybe this will help.
Duncan Matheson
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

IN some cases a fault like this here can be caused by an internal electrical short in the alternator you installed.If the voltage circuit is shorted internally in the alternator this will cause this issue here.I would try removing the alternator and see if the fuse still shorts out.If it does not then the alternator needs replaced to correct this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete