Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 cooling problems. Replaced cooling fan

Customer Question

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 cooling problems.
Replaced cooling fan coil/resistor not sure that the fan is working after the change. I'm wondering, if the thermostat is not opening will it cause the system to purge most of the coolant out on to the ground after driving it till it is in operating temp. It has been overheating periodically which caused me to check out the coil/resistor. The plug in was burnt on the inside. I'm hoping that the head gasket is OK, there is no water in the oil.
HELP
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

To see if the fan is working turn on the A/C, the fan should run on high. If the thermostat is stuck closed the upper radiator hose will be much cooler then the rest of the cooling system. These engines are difficult to bleed the air out of, oftentimes you need a vacuum bleeder that pulls the system into a deep vacuum before filling. You could just have air pockets trapped in the system. I usually perform a vacuum fill and bleed first before moving on with diagnosis just to rule out air pockets.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z