AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2006 Ford Escape, 145,000 miles, P0171 low fuel pressure

Customer Question

2006 Ford Escape, 145,000 miles, P0171 low fuel pressure light with check engine light.. Sometimes when I start the engine it runs rough and I need to depress accelerator to feed fuel; as I do that the engine hesitates and sputters, then after many minutes will settle down and run. Most of the time it stalls out and I have to restart. When I'm driving on the local roads and stop, when I accelerate, the engine hesitates and jerks, I relax the pedal and slowly depress it and can sometimes accelerate smoothly but slowly to a faster speed. twice on the highway I pressed the accelerator to get speed and nothing happened. This car has been doing this for the past year.. All parts and electronics in fuel system have been tried, wiring at the fuel computer has bee repaired, and still this problem persists. The only troubleshooting aid is the P0171 low fuel pressure light, check engine light and .3 fuel pressure read out (occurs when the engine will not star). What's wrong with this fuel system?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you had the fuel pressure tested recently?
Customer: Info is provided in write up.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Car is at the shop and they called today to say they give up.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
3 fuel pumps tried, drive module tried, fuel relay, fuel filter, fuel computer tried, wiring checked, wiring repaired at fuel computer, checked for leaks.
car drove fine for three days then symptoms returned.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. The most common cause of this condition is a bad mass air flow sensor.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!