Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus SE and display is showing Fuel

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus SE and display is showing Fuel Level Err, Fuel Gauge is incorrect dropping to empty and check engine light tripped on.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: It is not a Flex Fuel vehicle
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to determine what is needed and I'm open to shop fixing as long as it is not too expensive. Just bought this USED vehicle yesterday
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Everything else on the vehicle works great
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Typically when you get the fuel level error and the gauge stops reading correctly it indicates that the fuel pump module is going out. The pump might still function properly, but the part of the assembly that sends a signal to the dash to tell you how much fuel you have is dead or dying.

The solution is to replace the fuel pump.

Do you plan to attempt to replace it yourself? It will require dropping the fuel tank.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. Any idea on avg cost to replace fuel pump on 2005 Taurus SE
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

It should be about $250-350 for the pump and then about 2 hours of labor- if you have it done at a shop.

If you buy the pump yourself you can find them for about $100-$150 on rockauto.com or amazon.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Here is how it's done if you decide to try and tackle it yourself: