Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Ran good shut off and now it cranks over but won't start,

Customer Question

ran good shut off and now it cranks over but won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: coupl
e of yrs
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: is there a chip in the key
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I hear fuel pump kick on when turn the key
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Good morning,

What it the model of your Ford?

Engine size?

When it cranks does it seem to crank like normal or does it sound faster than normal?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ford taurus se 2006 3.o liter It cranks pretty fast but I believe it always sounded like this
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Fords are designed to illuminate the Check Engine Light when the key is in the Key On, Engine OFF (KOEO), if the light does not come on, it may indicate a problem with a defective Electronic Engine Control (EEC) power relay, a blown fuse, a defective Powertrain Control Module (PCM), harness concerns or a shorted 3 wire sensor.

If the Check Engine Light is on, it indicates the PCM is powered up since the PCM illuminates the Check Engine Light. The PCM will ground the fuel pump relay for 3-5 seconds to allow the fuel rail to get primed up and will shut off the fuel pump if it does not see a cranking RPM. You can usually hear the fuel pump run if the radio and the A/C blower motor are turned off.

If the PCM receives a signal from the crankshaft sensor or the ignition module, the check engine light should go OFF when cranking. If the light stays on, the PCM is not receiving a crankshaft sensor signal and will not provide injector pulse or spark if the ignition module is incorporated internally in the PCM. Try unplugging the alternator in case it is causing RF interference.

Try stepping down on the accelerator pedal a bit. When the throttle is cracked open, you are giving the engine air, not gas. If the engine starts with the throttle cracked open, check for a sticking Idle Air Control Valve (IAC).
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

I wanted to see if you need any more help with this one.

Please let me know if you do.

Don't forget to rate if you no longer need assistance.