Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

My o/d off light is flashing and I can't get out of third

Customer Question

My o/d off light is flashing and I can't get out of third gear
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It is the original from 2007. I have not checked the brake switch. How would i do that?
JA: What is the model of your '07 Ford?
Customer: Mustang
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I haven't tried anything other than reseting the battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

if the od light is flashing it means there is a code stored in the transmission. You will need to get it scanned. Sometimes a trans will go into safe mode, and it will stay in only one gear.

The first step in getting a scan tool hooked up and checking the trans module for codes.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have?

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the best place to get the codes read? Preferably at little or no cost
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You can go to any auto parts store to get a scan, but the scan tools they use are pretty basic and might not be able to go into the transmission module. You might have to bring this into a shop to have looked at.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please rate the answer, it would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan