C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

I have a 01 excursion with a 7.3L. it ran fine 2 weeks ago,

Customer Question

I have a 01 excursion with a 7.3L. it ran fine 2 weeks ago, now will not start. it cranks over but no start, no smoke from the tail pipe.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: engine cranks, batteries are good
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 01 excursion 7.3 diesel
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am. I tried unplugging the ICP, no change
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it has always ran perfect, it is low on fuel and at an angle but still has almost 1/4 tank. oil is good and at the correct level.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 3 months ago.

Verify that the oil level in the crankcase is correct. Also verify that the oil is of the correct viscosity (15W-40) and not overdue to be changed. When the engine is hard to start or not starting, verify the high pressure oil reservoir is staying full. If the oil supply is good, with the engine idling when warm, check the Injection Pressure Regulator and Injection Control Pressure readings on the scanner. Normal IPR readings are 10-12% at idle. ICP should be around 500 PSI at idle. If the IPR reading is higher or lower than normal, but the oil levels are OK, suspect a problem with the IPR or high pressure oil pump. If the fittings are available, remove the oil lines from the head and dead head the high pressure pump using either the ICP sensor or a mechanical gauge capable of reading 4000 PSI to monitor the pressure in one of the lines. With the pump deadheaded and cranking, the pressure should be able to hit at least 2000-2500 PSI. If the pressure does not reach at least 2000-2500 PSI, check the voltage on the IPR wires. The Red wire should show battery voltage while cranking. The Yellow/Red wire should be around 3-5 V at 65% duty cycle on the scanner. If the wires are OK, remove the IPR from the high pressure pump and inspect the o-rings. If there are no obvious signs of damage, suspect a faulty IPR and/or ICP pump.