James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I'm having problems out of my 1998 Lincoln town car I put a

Customer Question

Hi I'm having problems out of my 1998 Lincoln town car I put a cylinder in it an had the key program to the car off the old key, after it wouldn't start I had a check done on it an was told it had a bad antenna ring could this stop the car from starting also my y file pump want come on could this have something to do with it pumping gas up it was running fine before the cylinder locked up on it now it will ack like it want to start one time after that it just turn over.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Hello, when you turn your key to the on position does the theft light flash fast?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the one in the dash does.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

If you leave the key on for 1 minute it should begin to flash a two digit code. Ford example 14 can you do this and see what code flashes

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm about five minutes away from my car but I'll write this down an try I later Wii it cause the file pump not to work
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where do I look for this coad an if it do flash what should I do next
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

If you can update me after the flashing of the code it will help. The other thing I would try if you have your owners manual is swap out the pcm power relay with a different relay and see if it helps.

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Those are the only couple of things you can do without some special tools or equipment. Its most common for a pcm power relay failing but the ring around that reads the key code can also be bad.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where do I read the code from
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does the security light blink a code? I don't know what I'm looking for
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its not flashing a code only thing I see is the normal message center stuff life how many miles to empty and mileage things like that
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the pcm power relay located?
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

The theft light itself will blink out a code. The PCM relay is relay number 3 under the hood. The fuse panel should have the numbers labeled.