James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

2008 Ford F, 2008 Ford F250 twin turbo diesel 6.4 lt, 6.4

Customer Question

2008 Ford
F
JA: What is the model of your '08 Ford?
Customer: 2008 Ford F250 twin turbo diesel 6.4 lt
JA: What size is your engine?
Customer: 6.4 liter
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe, I work on gas engines all the time, but I haven't worked on the diesel.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the turbo is sticking I think.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: sometime the turbo works and sometimes it doesn't
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Hello, your concern is that the turbo is sticking correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
somethings when starting the engine, the turbo gauge shows it's engaged, but somethings it gauge shows it not engaged and the needle is below the left line. I sometimes can turn the key several time with out turning on the engine and see the turbo gauge show the turbo engaged. Also, I can be driving down the road and have the turbo kick off and sometimes it comes back on.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

do you have a way to test for codes. If so what codes do you get?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have test for codes at AutoZone and there haven't been any on the normal failing. But sometimes I've tried to bring the RPM's up to 3000 in park to see if it kicks in the turbo and sometimes I get an engine light and the code reads something like "turbo pressure too low or something about the turbo. Can't remember. The engine light goes away pretty quickly.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

When you rev the engine up or have a helper do you hear an air leak at all?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't heard one, but I can have my wife rev the engine and listen for one. I did check the rubber connection hoses that lead up to the turbo. looks good.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

I have seen holes in the CAC cooler itself. Also the high pressure turbo is known to fail. When you turn the key on watch the turbo actuator and see if it cycles.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, I'll look into that and get back with you later. thanks
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

you are welcome. Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you. If you have further questions you can always update this page.