James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

2009 f150 5.4 fx4. The throttle control module has been

Customer Question

2009 f150 5.4 fx4. The throttle control module has been causing me a lot of problems over the past year. The engine will crank, but wont start. I could disconnect and reconnect the TCM and then it will run. I did this so many times that I tried changing out the TCM and also the wiring harness. This seemingly solved the problem for the last 2 months with no problems.
No it is doing the same thing again. No codes. Crank only, no start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Hello, the TCM is transmission control module. When you swapped out the module did you have it programmed to the vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I meant the throttle control actuator (throttle by wire), not the transmission control.
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

are you getting codes for the throttle control? do you have a way to test for codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a simple code reader and Aute Enginuity that can read Ford specific codes. I am not getting any error codes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
R u still there? What do you want me to check? AE will list any issue with Ford specific codes.
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

I am still hear. did you install a new throttle body? Usually a bad throttle body will cause the vehicle to go into a limp mode or possibly stall.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. I did not install a new throttle body or throttle position sensor, just the throttle actuator motor and wiring
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

The throttle actuator motor is part of the throttle body? Was it an aftermarket company that you were able to buy this part off of?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The actuator is removable and replaceable. I replaced with non Orem. It has worked fine for months.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Non oem
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

The throttle motor may be replaceable but not through Ford for this very reason. What is the warranty of the part you installed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you are saying I need a ford oem throttle body and throttle actuator as an assembly?
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Not that but if your concern was fixed for several months with this new part I would have them warranty out the part and use another one. If it fixes it this time again you know its the throttle body. If the replacement part is from Dorman which is what I suspect they have a very high failure rate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I will give it a try
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

That is how I diagnose vehicles if something fixed it for a while but you still have the same symptoms I would say the new electronic part has failed. Since they are covered under warranty it is an easy process of elimination. Most manufatures have been having issues with there electronic throttle bodies. Also please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you. We can still speak after I receive a rating if you have further questions also.