Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Key is stuck in the tailgate and won't open the tailgate and

Customer Question

key is stuck in the tailgate and won't open the tailgate and won't come out
JA: Any trouble turning the key in the ignition? Do you have a key fob?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: yes have a fob and no trouble starting in the ignition 2009 F150 King Ranch. Have had the tailgate down before.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to not have to drive home to get the spare keys. They have tried shaking the tailgate and are now trying to apply pressure while also trying to remove key
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i am aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

This is not uncommon. The lock cylinder back there gets packed full of road grit from the swirling air behind the vehicle and from driving with the tailgate down. Normally you can use compressed air and or spray lube sprayed into the hole to free the key. You need to jiggle the key up and down vertically while taping the key with something hard like screwdriver handle. The tumblers inside are not retracting are stuck inside the valleys of your key causing this. Worst case scenario you remove the cover on the inside of the tailgate and damage the cylinder to knock your key back out.

If your confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If your not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you are pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry but I will not give any rating. I feel duped into this by whoever was on to chat with. I clearly stated what I wanted was to NOT to have to go home to get a spare set of keys for my husband. I was directed to a site to put in a $5.00 payment but oh it was really more than that AND if I wanted a quick answer of 30 minutes I had to pay even more. At that point I gave up and drove home to get the keys. He had already tried the spray lube without waiting to get your advice. He took it to the dealer who said they had not seen that before. We bought the extended warranty on the 2009 truck so it will only cost him $100 to get it fixed and he gets a free loaner. And yes, they will have to take the cover on the inside of the tailgate off.

Glad your getting it resolved. Sorry you were not pleased with my help.