Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

My mom's 92 f250 sat in a barn month. I had to jump start it

Customer Question

My mom's 92 f250 sat in a barn for a month. I had to jump start it and then it died while the idle was rough. When I went to restart it without jump start the engine raced completely out of control the accelerator appeared to be stuck so I yanked the gas peddled up by hand and then turned off the truck. The truck will turn over but will not crank and the gas peddle wire? appears to be stuck in the open or full throttle position. Is it flooding or have I done something far worse
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: battery was replaced I believe about three months ago. Battery light comes on. My big fear is what happened with the accelerator. That absolutely scared me to death. I did not goose it but was just trying to keep it running when it accelerated wildly
JA: What year is your F250?
Customer: 1992
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to try it myself. I spent half a day inside a hay roller yesterday working on a drive chain that broke.. From what I can tell it is like the control wire? on the accelerator is jammed or stuck
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not off the top of my head
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 3 months ago.

Ok since it sat in a barn there is a very good chance a rodent ate through a wire to the throttle position sensor or built a nest in the throttle body have these been checked?