James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

2013 F-550 flatbed tow truck (VIN: 1FDUF5GY8DEA24866). Truck

Customer Question

2013 F-550 flatbed tow truck (VIN: 1FDUF5GY8DEA24866).
Truck has 155k miles. NEW motor installed by Ford 77k miles ago.
As with the first motor, started off with a light tick on passenger side. Brought to dealership, mechanic claimed to continue driving until they were able to get us in. Two blocks later, lost power, and motor sounded like a diesel with bad injectors. They determined that retainer came out and valve dropped. INSTALLED NEW MOTOR WITH 3-YEAR WARRANTY.
75k miles later: Slight tick on passenger side. Mechanic claimed from TOP, and claimed to continue driving until the following week when they'd have time to get to the root of issue, but felt it might just be a lifter.
Two days later: Running rough, missing, and loud as heck, with a slight bearing-like squeal.
Took directly to dealer, shut down truck, fetched service mgr. and mechanic, started up, and it sounded PERFECT! No squeal, no tick, no miss...sounded perfect.
Told OK to drive, and to bring back in 5 days when they would then have mechanic get to root of issue.
In the meantime, we continued to drive in hopes of the issue rearing it's ugly head so that we could figure out.
Well, today, it did exactly what the first motor did: Ticked from passenger side, ran rough, sounded like diesel with bad injectors, and lost power. The only difference, is that we were able to drive back to our facility (25 miles) and do so at highway speeds.
Once back, we started and restarted motor in an effort to detect any behavioral changes. Then, upon the fifth start, it decided not to start. It clicked once, then nothing.
Anyway, the purpose of my post is to gain some insight before we transport to the dealership for yet another painful experience.
FYI: We also just recently replaced same type of motor in a different truck (2012) that started with a passenger-side tick (lower).
Are these Triton V-10's notorious for these issues, or am I just lucky.
Any insight/advice would be truly appreciated.
FYI: both the 2012 & 2013, as well as my 2015 call for 5W20, whereas the 2016 calls for 5W30. I wonder why the change in specified oil weight.
Loaded series of questions...thank you in advance for your attention.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I will do my best to answer your questions. The oil won't make a difference between 5w20 and 5w30 for the way the engine runs. The ticking noise of some sort is usually considered normal on these engines. excessive ticking isn't though. The Ford warranty should be 3 years 100k miles. This should still be under warranty isn't it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I suppose my long-winded inquiry was unclear. Yes, is under warranty. Initial warranty was long gone when motor replaced @ 7x,000 miles. The second has a 3-year unlimited. Motor in identical truck also replaced at a premature time. ALL 3 three motors exhibited near-identical symptoms prior to premature "catystrophic failure".
Looking for insight re: this particular motor having inherent issues.
This motor in the 2016 has different oil specs. Also wondering why that may have changed.
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

why the oil weight changed was just an engineering idea. If a new engineer comes in and likes a different oil then they will change it. It won't affect longevity of the motor. I find it off you have had to engine failures because they don't have alot of issues. They have been reliable some with 500k miles. what intervals are you changing your oil? does this vehicle idle alot?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Every 3,000 miles with no exception We use only MOTORCRAFT products as specified by manufacturer. Engine hours higher that normal. Loading/unloading adds quite a bit of additional hours
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.
Do you know how many hours are on the engine for each 3000 miles? If the vehicle idles a lot the oil should be changed every 250 engine hours which is equal to 3000 miles. If you are putting on 500 hours in 3000 miles you are really changing the oil at 6000 miles if that makes sense. That is the downside to service vehicles and Ford never explains it well