James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

I am having the hardest time trying to pull the balancer off

Customer Question

Hi. I am having the hardest time trying to pull the balancer off my 2006 Ford Mustang (v6). I have a pull kit and I just can't seem to turn the wrench without the crank turning. Also, the center (push) bolt isn't turning threads which is why it turns the whole unit which causes compression. The balancer is stuck no matter what I do...(less using a heat gun). :-/
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: What would that have anything to do with the harmonic balancer coming off the crank shaft (snout)? Just curious....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I have a mechanic guiding me via phone and pics and I keep getting the same answer...or they're just as stumped. It is stuck and it won't budge off. I used liquid wrench, and two different claw foot pullers but to no avail. The crank turns every time I turn the drive on the wrench and it shouldn't turn...I have even tried jamming it so it doesn't move but the bolt isn't turning through the threads which is causing a lot of pressure on the bolts and I'm afraid I will snap the heads off the bolts in the puller or break the puller itself. Also, used an impact wrench but to no avail.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No...I'm stumped and just want to beat the crap out of it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

Hello, do you have the center bolt removed from the crankshaft?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do.
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

do you have a strap wrench so you can keep the crank from turning? do you have the belt still on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I had replaced the serpentine bc it was old and had slipped off but when I did I took it for a spin and it got ate up en route...this is basically why I discovered I had a bad balancer - among other things.
If I use a wrench strap, what should I secure it to???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I was thinking about a ratchet strap. I'll pick up a wrench strap after work then I'm going to soak the bolt and use some liquid wrench. I'll have to wait until tomorrow since I work overnight.
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

ok sounds good. a strap wrench to help hold to pulley until it breaks free is about the only thing you can do.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Will it still work if the pulley has already separated from the balancer? The pulley came off but the balancer still needs to be removed. I will have to use the wrench on the rubber outside...I assume this will still work?
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

yes it should.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi. I got the balancer off and I'm ready to install the new one. I have the install kit from auto zone but none of the retention bolts thread into the shaft so I'm at a loss as to how the heck I'm supposed to use the tool...there are not very many videos in the Internet world or any that are detailed enough with installation on a mustang. :-/ Any advice??
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

I never actually used an install kit. I always used the crankshaft pulley bolt to install the crank pulley. Sometimes a rubber mallet to help get it started.