HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

Gear shift fell off, 2002 explorer xlt. the only problem

Customer Question

gear shift fell off
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 2002 explorer xlt. the only problem i've had is with overheating -- before having the gear shift literally fall off in my hand today.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know what to do. Depends on how expensive it is to repair. Do you know how much it costs to replace the gear shift lever?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I want to know how much it would be to replace the front passenger side turn signal, the headlights, the radiator is leaking, and the gear shift lever, please.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, the actual shifter on the steering column is disconnected ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fell off in my hand as I was driving with my daughter and wife. Fortunately, still in my driveway.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

If just the lever is broken it can be replaced. The lower dash panel and steering column covers need removed. a pin holds the shifter in place. Pop out the old one and install the new one, an electrical connector will be on the end of the shifter for the overdrive switch. Number 3 is the shifter, 2 is the pin

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know approximately what a fair price would be for this replacement?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Shouldnt be more than an hour and a half labor plus parts. probably few hundred bucks.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, the question remains open until it is rated, if you need more help let me know.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?