HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2001 f450. I am getting a PO781, 782, and 783. When

Customer Question

I have a 2001 f450. I am getting a PO781, 782, and 783. When driving I have only noticed the 1-2 shift. It seems to hang in 1st, sometimes if it is held at a higher rpm (3k) it will shift, sometimes you let off the throttle and it will shift to 2nd. It seems to shift into all other gears no problem.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Trans is original, 60k miles. no leaks
JA: What is the model of your '01 Ford?
Customer: F-450
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have not tried anything as of yet, other than check the fluid level. It is correct and no burnt smell or pepper flakes.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the truck sits alot, and when it is not parked it is usually towing 15k-20k. Everything is all factory, no modifications what so ever, and has never had any issues before or previous trans work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is indicating a fault with shift solenoids 1 & 2 or an internal mechanical problem.This transmission uses a solenoid body that houses all the solenoids. If the transmission fluid smells burnt, id suspect a mechanical problem. Best bet is to drop the trans pan and inspect for any debris in the pan, if it looks clean id replace the solenoid body, clear the codes and see if the problem is resolved.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I made it as far as checking the solenoid pack today. I ohmed pins 1 and 2, and got 21 ohms. I also got 21 ohms between pin 1 and 3. I will pull the pan off in the next few days.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Very good, let me know if you need more help, if I was helpful, please leave a positive rating