Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2013 Ford F-150 limited with the 3.5 ecoboost

Customer Question

Hello there I have a 2013 Ford F-150 limited with the 3.5 ecoboost engine I just hit 80,000 and everyday I start my truck it puffs out black smoke and it runs rough like the truck is shaking for a couple of seconds then it smooths out and runs good I changed spark plugs and one of the spark plugs I fouled out immediately and it begin to misfire I replaced it with my old plug and it runs good now but my truck still puffs out black smoke and runs rough but I have no check engine light do I need to take it in?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** either points toward a leaking fuel injector or a leaking valve seal. If it is a fuel injector then you will notice worse gas mileage, if it is a valve seal you will notice a loss of oil. Injector is about a $500 job and valve seals are about $1400 because it is a big job. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Dan thanks for answering my question I have crappy gas mileage like 16.2 I can't get it above that only time I do is when I reset my mpg but I haven't checked the oil yet but I will and see if I'm losing oil thank you again for answering my question well my warranty will pay for that I just bought the truck last month and I bought a 3 year extended warranty just In case so I'm glad I got it lol and the black smoke smells like I'm running rich as well
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

No problem, it sounds more like a injector problem then. Let me know how it ends up turning out or if you run into questions. Thanks again and have a great day!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will for sure let you know I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it looked at and fixed now I know I may sound stupid for asking this but is their only one fuel injector?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

There are 6 injectors, 1 for each cylinder. You may have a couple leaking but probably only 1. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.