A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I locked my keys in hybrid c max. How can I get them. No but

Customer Question

I locked my keys in hybrid c max. How can I get them.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: No but have had a few instances where car took a few minutes to respond to my key and I had to take it out of my purse. Guess 30,000
JA: What year is your C?
Customer: 2013, 35,000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Can't find spare key. Looked but can't find
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Usually you can't lock key in car. It is keyless car, reliant on key fob
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.

Usually you cannot lock the keys in the vehicle, even with push button start. The vehicle will sense the key is in the vehicle and the ignition is off, it will not let the drivers door lock. Your C-Max does have a lock cylinder on the drivers door. There is a small cover next to the outside door handle that covers the key cylinder. The key actually fits into the remote for the vehicle. You can either call a locksmith or contact you local dealership and the service manager can access Fords secure website to access the key code for the key. If you have AAA, they will unlock the vehicle for you for free. But we, as technicians, do not have access to key codes. Ford only allows service managers that access.