A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

My 2010 edge sunroof will not close all the way it stops

Customer Question

My 2010 edge sunroof will not close all the way it stops just a little past vent opening position can not make it close to reprogram it
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

Will it open fully?
Have you inspected the tracks with it open and make sure nothing is on the tracks and no broken pieces laying around the tracks?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
trying to beat rain

Will it open fully?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what do I do now?

Will it open fully?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do I get my answer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it will fully open
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
shades work everyhting seems to work fine it is like has programed it self to that position

You can reinitialize it even if it will not fully close. Just follow the directions carefully. Its should reinitialize. If not, something is in the tracks or the tracks are broken.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you tell me how to initialize it
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I may be doing something wrong

Below are the directions from Ford. Follow them carefully.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I inspected the tracks and cleaned them and lubed with lithium grease I have those instructions already it says to hold the control switch the whole time but yet it tells you to release it so witch switch is witch

Open the sunroof fully. Then turn the key off and then back on. Then press and hold the sunroof switch to close the sunroof. Then press and hold it again for 21 seconds or till the shade moves and then stops.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will try that I have tried dis conecting battery that did not work I will try this

Disconnecting the battery never works. It only erases trouble codes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the window opened all the way and will not shut. Shade is working

There has to be an issue with the tracks then. Does it move fully forward, just not all the way even with the metal roof?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it has now fully opened and will not move forward. The shade closes apparent,y thinking the window is closed.

Turn the key off and remove the key and have the doors closed. Then turn the key to on with the engine off and press the button to close the sunroof and hold it down watching the roof panel and the sunshade. See if the glass moves at all. Press and hold it in the closed position. If not, disconnect the battery with the key off and wait 10 minutes and then reconnect the battery and retry the Roof Opening Panel Motor Initialization.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I turned off the care took out the key, put in the key and turned it, but did not turn on the ignition. the window closed

Did it close all the way?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we already did exactly what you stated trying anything. I closed, but now afraid to open back up.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it closed all the way. Now afraid to open.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am afraid it will get stuck open again.

Leave it closed till the rain is gone and you have a sunny day. The sun roof motors are actually modules and they need to be properly reinitialized. You can try later or take it to a dealership and have them do it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do that.

Your welcome. Sometimes it take me 5 to 6 tries to get it to properly reinitialize at the dealership. Each sunroof set up is different.