Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

99 ford was driving when engine dies, turn off then on and

Customer Question

99 ford was driving when engine dies, turn off then on and nothing, have power to lights radio, wipers, boosted and nothing, changed battery , starter and checked fuses and still nothing. the red battery cable was hot to the touch do not know where to look next
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Do you know the fuse number?
Customer: on the dash or engine
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 99 ford ranger 3.0 liter auto swb stepside
JA: What year is your Ranger?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am trying to fix , changed battery ,and starter
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that is as far i have got to
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this here.

Check the battery cable and see if it is shorted to ground at any point.If it is then it needs replaced.If the cable is o.k. have the battery tested as you may have a shorted cell in it with the battery needing replaced.These are the most common causes for this issue here.A local parts store will test the battery at no charge to you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.