EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2010 Fusion that has a problem with the electrical

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Fusion that has a problem with the electrical assist power steering. periodically when I start the car the power steering is not present. There is a fault message on the dash and after shutting the engine down , waiting for ten seconds and restarting it it might work. I have had to do this two to three times before before it would work.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: engine turns over fine and battery is new.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried nothing so far. I am an elecytronic technician and have access to trouble shooting equipment but obviously cannot do anything past the analog checks of the system and connection verification.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing else comes to mind.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 months ago.

Hi. I have been a Ford dealer tech for almost 20 years. I have seen this problem with the Fusion with electric steering. You need a new power steering rack. If you want to have the codes retreived from the steering module and see what is there you can do that with a good scan tool. You can let me know the codes if you get them.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that the part that costs about $1800? How long does it last? Is there something I can do with the connectors? I'm an electronic technician.

It may cost 1800 installed. But the rack is about 1000 dollars. It has all the electronics built into it. WHen any sensor fails internal to the rack, usually the steering angle sensor, the rack goes into a default mode with limited steering assist. There is nothing you can do. The rack needs to be replaced or that problem is going to keep happening.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help I'll try to get the rack. I'm an excellent mechanic also I'm sure I can replace the rack. That will be all.

Your welcome. The rack needs to be programmed by the dealer scan tool as well.

Thanks for viewing my response. Let me know if you have any more questions, and also please rate my assistance using the 5 star rating method. Thank you.