Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Ok so all the above bolts are loose or removed can't get the

Customer Question

Ok so all the above bolts are loose or removed can't get the ball joint stud out of steering knuckle. It is loose, strut is loose, axle is loose from hub. ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Can't get ball joint stud out of hole even though everything is loose.
JA: Have you checked the fluids? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Are you a person or a robot??
JA: I'm an assistant to the Ford Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Okay, what do the fluid levels have to do with anything? There is no rust, all suspension parts are loose but there is not enough movement to get the hub off to pull the axle.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 Freestar, trying to change the driver side half shaft.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have told you already what has been done.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, The ball joint retaining bolt is a pinch type, when it tightens up in the stud it crushes the metal around it. Usually using a large heavy duty prybar into the lower control arm will allow enough force to pop the ball joint stud out of the knuckle. On this suspension it is also easier to loosen the front and rear subframe bolts to let the frame hang lower and easier to remove and reinstall the ball joint

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you pound down on the control arm with a large hammer that should get it to drop down. Here are replacement instructions from manual, you can barrow special tool from parts store if you aren't able to knock it loose with hammer. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awo178b9bpu9563/ssd.pdf?dl=0