James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Still waiting on an answer how does it take

Customer Question

still waiting on an answer how long does it take
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Hello, what was your original question?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2005 ford explorer 4wd 4.0ltr when my car stops at a stop light it has a shake and the engine light blinks the again engine light stays on changed coil pack spark plugs and wires and still has the shake changed the radiator and thermostat before
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

A flashing check engine light is a type A misfire. This means fuel isn't being burned and it is going into the exhaust system. This can be damaging in a very short amount of time to the convertor assemblies. Do you know what cylinder is misfiring or a way to test for codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
po316 and po304
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

So it is cylinder 4 causing the issue. This is the first cylinder on the driver side of the vehicle.It isn't going to be fuel related. If you are getting good spark I would perform a manual compression test and see if you have a burnt valve or something.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you think it might be the crankshaft sensor......car runs fine but i guess it gets hot or drive far engine light starts to blink again
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

The crank sensor controls the spark but it won't cause a single cylinder to misfire. The P0316 means the misfire is being see at start up. You only notice the misfire after the engine is hot?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
oiur sure its the valve
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

I can't say for sure without being able to look at the vehicle myself. With the concern you are having you have extra fuel being dumped into the cylinder. This needs to be investigate further to determine why. Is there a wiring issue or is it a base engine concern. I would start with a mechanical compression test as my next step.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it over heats too
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when it gies for a while the gauge goes up so i even changed the radiator and thermostat
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

If the vehicle overheats also I would def perform a compression test and see what you are getting on cylinder 4 5 6. The misfire can be part of the reason the vehicle is overheating.