HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

1995 ford f 150 barely runs, starts hard & misses badly &

Customer Question

1995 ford f 150 barely runs, starts hard & misses badly & exhaust smells kind of like sulfer or ether. What's wrong. It has new cataliytic converter. Six cylinder, straight 6.
Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Hello, why did you replace the exhaust catalytic convertor? Is the check engine light on? Have you checked fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was told when I went to get a smog certificate that I needed a new catalytic converter for it to pass no I have not check fuel pressure and yes my check engine light is on
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Ok need to run a few basic checks. First would be if you didnt have this issue prior to the exhaust repair would be to loosen the exhaust to make a leak and see if performance improves, a restricted catalytic convertor could cause this. Next would be a check for codes with a scn tool or jumping the self test connector and counting the check engne light flashes to see what code(s) are stored, followed by a fuel pressure test to see if pressure is low and causing the engine to run lean. along with basic checks for vacuum leaks.

NOTE: Using this procedure, the technician can attempt to recreate and detect an intermittent fault.

KEY ON ENGINE OFF

1. Ensure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
  2. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

Jumper Wire Installed Between Pin #2 And Self Test Input (STI)

1. ACTIVATE, DEACTIVATE, and REACTIVATE the self-test by grounding, ungrounding, and re-grounding the STI connector. You are now in the wiggle test mode.
  2. Tap, move, and wiggle the suspected circuits sensors and wiring. When a fault is detected, ECA will set a code and signal a fault by flashing the CHECK ENGINE light..
  3. To exit the wiggle test mode, DEACTIVATE the self test and turn the key OFF.

KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING

NOTE: The Engine Running (ER) wiggle test may be entered any time the engine is running.

2. START the engine, then ACTIVATE, DEACTIVATE, and REACTIVATE the self test. You are now in the engine running wiggle test mode. NOTE: Do not turn the engine OFF.
  3. Tap, move, and wiggle the suspected circuits sensors and wiring. When a fault is detected, ECA will set a code and signal a fault. NOTE: If any codes are set, perform the appropriate pinpoint test. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )\Testing and Inspection\Manufacturer Code Charts
  4. To exit the wiggle test mode, DEACTIVATE the self test and turn the key OFF.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Hello, the question remains open until it is rated, if you need more help let me know.