Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

My 2005 ford ranger dies, total electrical loss, while I am

Customer Question

My 2005 ford ranger dies, total electrical loss, while I am driving. Put a new battery in and had the alternator checked out. What is the next part to check out?
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: New battery bought yesterday
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, just the new battery and tested the alternator
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Loses all power while driving. Everything goes dead. Won't restart for a long period of time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** first thing to do is check the battery voltage while idling, it should be between 13.2-14.4 volts, if not, the charging system is not working, if the alternator was removed and brought in for testing, this jostling of the part can cause it to work ok when tested, but when reinstalled the alternator won't work correctly. I would do all testing on the vehicle.

Let me know what your battery voltage is while idling, thanks Scott