C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

Have a 2005 f250 6.0 just had 8 injectors replaced by Ford

Customer Question

Have a 2005 f250 6.0 just had 8 injectors replaced by Ford last week - stiction problem. Runs better. Went to the mountains this week and when pulling hills - no trailer or cargo - would get to a point and then start dropping speed, would never down shift and lost turbo pressure. Once destinated sis the rest for turbo and helped. now on flat ground truck will not jump into passing gear... engine rpm goes to 3200 and no speed increase - afterwards truck ran rough. took codes off p0069 p0266 p0278 p0470 p0472 p0478 p0620. let set for 10 minutes and now it runs smooth.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: its 2005... ford said it checked out last week. I,ve had this issue for a while.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if its something I can do that would be great... just looking for possible causes.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no temp issues... new 2 core radiator recently. wont jump into passing gear. turbo is pushing 20 now as usual so I think that is working...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 10 months ago.

Good evening, if you reset the codes which ones will come back right away. Because out of that bunch we have 2 for cylinders which is likely an injector issue.. Two for exhaust backpressure sensor one for the MAP sensor and 2 for the charging system.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
erased codes and took it for a***** drove it like I stole it. still not jumping into overdrive. codes P0278 and p0472

p0278 is cylinder 6 and P0472. This list of codes will likely be do to a 5 volt reference shorting. There are multiple sensors or wires that could short this reference voltage, however, the ICP sensor and connector should be inspected first. Look for wiring damage at or near the connector. Repair and/or replace as necessary. . The next place to look would be at the exhaust backpressure sensor, many times the sensor will be shorted or you will see the wiring chafed or damaged. Then look near the EGR valve, in some cases there will be damaged or chafed wiring. If there are no visible signs of damage, begin unplugging the 5 volt reference components to isolate the short. I think this happened when they did the injectors and it is possible they have a wire stuck inside the valve cover. This should be covered under the job they did.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok... I will look it over in the morning. Thank you

No problem glad to be of assistance. Charlie.