Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

The car just stops running and will not restart few minutes.

Customer Question

The car just stops running and will not restart for a few minutes. The electrical is completely dead as if there is no battery. No lights, hazard lights nothing. Eventually the power comes back on and the car cranks and runs fine. It may do this 2 to 3 times a day or not at all. Any ideas?
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: Battery and alternator are all good. Forgot to tell you it's a 2006 Ford Escape. Checked all fuses and relays. All appear to be good.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaned battery posts, checked every fuse and relay.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't know, but I suspect a security system problem because the security light comes on when it shuts down. Can you bypass the security system?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK thanks

does the security light flashes on or steady when this happened ?

we need the fault codes scanned and retrieved, there is several components, here, could the issue if it is the security

Check the alarm hood switch from getting stuck , i sent you a diagram for location

When it happens next time try this procedure reset and see if that clears it then .

Master Reset Procedure

1-Disconnect battery ( Both Cables ,The Negative & The Positive Cable )
2-Touch Cables together and hold 20 secs and let go
3-Hold Brake pedal down 10 secs
4-Wait 10 minutes and then Reconnect Battery
5-Close all the doors ,hood & trunk .
6-lock the car with key from driver door ( IF your car is Equipped with a bladeless key then just locked with the keyFob
7- Unlock car & Start your vehicle

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I'll work on this tomorrow. Thanks

ok sounds good

I will be online tomorrow from 10 am till 12 pm

so let me know

Chad(aka-Jhook1398)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wasn't able to master reset today. Wife wouldn't give up the car. Maybe tomorrow.
No problem , I understand I got one :).