rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

97 ford ranger 4.0L 6 cyl. Trying to diagnose coolant

Customer Question

97 ford ranger 4.0L 6 cyl. Trying to diagnose coolant problem. Only drove it a short distance and did not notice if it ran hot but, when I shut it down, the coolant was backing up out of the radiator cap. I pulled the radiator cap off and watched. Coolant was not circulating. The thermostat was replaced about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. Coolant was not leaking anywhere near the water pump.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 217K miles. 4.0L 6 cyl
JA: What year is your Ranger?
Customer: 97
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Have not done anything to the car yet. Still diagnosing problem.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that should be enough
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Still can have a bad water pump or T-stat. Pump can have deteriorated fins and not pushing the water through fast enough..

Thanks, Ron