C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

2006 ford ranger 4.0 soho throwing a misfire cylinder 4

Customer Question

2006 ford ranger 4.0 soho throwing a misfire cylinder 4 code. Cel is flashing and rough idle . Changed plugs and wires. What next?
Category: Ford
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't.. Coil pack seems to be fine pulled back the wire from the pack and its sparking

Can you get a test light or a volt meter? We need to test the injector.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can get a meter.. Where is the injector and how do I check it?

There is an injector for each cylinder. I want you to test all of them. If you have a test light just run two paper clips or a needle into the back of the injector wire plug leaving it connected. While you crank the engine the light should go on and off. If you are using a volt meter the same thing will happen with the voltage you will get a reading than it will go away. This is the proper operation of the fuel injector. We need to make sure all of them are getting the same readings or light on and off. If they are we will than swap the #4 injector to any other one if the misfire moves to the next cylinder this means your problem is the fuel injector. You can just get a used one online or a entire set cheaper normally than the local parts store for one. See attached documents to verify how to replace the injectors and also the wires to each injector.