Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

MY FORD E350 SUPER DUTY VAN, AC WENT OUT, SO I REPLACED THE

Customer Question

MY FORD E350 SUPER DUTY VAN, AC WENT OUT, SO I REPLACED THE COMPRESSOR. THE COMPRESSOR WORKS GOOD , THE AC IS BLOWING OUT COLD AIR IN THE MORNING BUT IN THE AFTERNOON ITS NOT BLOWING COLD AIR ONLY COOL AIR. WHAT CAN I DO?. IT GETS UPTO 75 DEGREES IN THE AFTERNOON AND ONLY COOLS DOWN WHEN I ACCELERATE.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.

Hi there.

I could possibly help you find out what is causing your van's A/C to behave that way, but you'd need a thermometer to read vent temperature and a set of gauges to read Hi and Lo refrigerant pressures. Got those?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
GOT IT, REMEMBER I INSTALLED THE AC COMPRESSOR

It's a good thing you do. You'd be surprised to hear the things people want me to help them do without having any tools...

First thing we need to do is install the gauges and measure static pressures (system off) and compare that to ambient temperature. For example; with an ambient temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit, you'd expect to see static refrigerant pressure of 75-80 psi.

Once that checks out, we need to start the engine. Insert the thermometer in the center vent closest to the evaporator; then turn A/C on and set it at the lowest temperature with blower at the highest speed. Raise RPM to 1500 and maintain for 2 minutes. Pressures should be around 30-40 psi on the Lo side with 200-250 psi on the Hi side with vent temperatures about 20-30 degrees lower than ambient. If those pressures and vent temps are OK and repeating the test in the afternoon yields the same pressure results but vent temperatures are much higher, then we'll need to look at cabin air flow as the possible culprit. If both pressures and vent temperature are off in the afternoon, then we'll need to look at engine cooling as the possible cause (dirty clogged radiator/condenser, fan clutch, etc.)

Please run those tests and let me know what you find.

Hi again,

I just noticed you have another request open on the same topic. I'll opt out so the other expert can focus on the issue.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Did you vacuum the system down for at least 1 hour? Did you replace the orifice tube and the accumulator? Did you flush the system? How much refrigerant did you put in the system?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I changed the orfices tube, vacuum the system down for at least 1:45 hou. I replace the orifice tube and the accumulator. Blew and flush the system out. Replace the refrigerant. My problem is the AC blows very cold until the condenser start to get very warm or hot.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

Does the engine fan come on when that occurs? The fan should be coming on and cooling it down. This is if you have the electric option.

Now if this is the standard viscous, then the fan hub might be worn down making it nit spin as good as it should. Has the vehicle ran warmer than normal at all? What about having a fan in front of the vehicle as if it is going down the road. Does it still give the issue?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check the fan and let you know.