Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2008 F150 clicks when turning ignition off.

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced to try and locate or correct this issue here?

Where is the clicking noise heard at?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clicking sound appears to be coming from the ignition, kind of sounds like a relay. No problem with the vehicle, no work has been performed. The noise started a few months ago and does not cause drive ability issues. Though it never did it before.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is the noise coming from the ignition switch area itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My vehicle is a 2008 F150 Harley Davidson edition, 5.4L. The clicking noise occurs every time I turn the vehicle off, almost like a ratcheting sound. Appears to be inside the vehicle,, not 100% positive. Could be under dash? I can try to check closer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you call me on my cell, you will be able to hear the noise I am speaking of.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself and I apologize for that.If you can make a sound video and upload it to something like Youtube then send me the link to it I can hear it then.

Does the heater and ac operate properly with the engine running in all temp and mode positions?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes with the heat on, the heater gets cooler and sometimes the air gets warmer with the AC on, without me changing any settings. But that is more an intermittent issue, the clicking noise is everytime i shut the motor off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rather every time I turn the ignition off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any ideas???
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I had another customer response I was working on.

O.k.,this sounds like the temp actuator on your heater box is the cause here.I have seen these fail like this before.When you turn off the ignition the actuator is trying to find its end position or set itslef in a position with the key off and when the actuator fails it causes this noise you hear here.I have seen several models with the same issue and the actuator needing replaced.This is also causing the hot/cool intermittent air temp issue you see.I suspect this actuator needs replaced.

If you need info on where it is located let me know and I will see if I can locate it for you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete