john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

I have a ford explorer that was sent overseas to europe its

Customer Question

HI I have a ford explorer that was sent overseas to europe its a 2003 v6 and it has a delay in shifting when going uphill and sometimes it has to be but into a lower gear to go uphill , I am not there now but am just wondering what could be wrong , is there a chance it could just be a low transmission fluid level? i cant check the fluid level because i guess on that model there is no way to check it
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed? Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the transmission fluid hasnt been checked since its been rebuilt but it has only been about a year prior to sending it so where the car is there are not too many mechanic shops where i can take it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not at this time just wondering what the usual cause of this could be
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

is the engine light on.?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My sister drove it last and she said that it would also shift from drive into neutral by its self I'm asking her right now if the engine light was on if she remembers
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she thinks it was on and also possibly another light but she cant remember im gonna have to call over there and find out
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she said sometimes even on a flat surface it would shift from drive to neutral then she would have to put it back into drive to get going

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no way of doing it , the ford dealership there said the guy who usually works on them was gone for the day lol , I guess the main question is is there a chance the trans oil could be low ? or in this case is it usually a different problem

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I appreciate your help i guess I will hope the ford dealer over there has that setup to check the codes , this is a third world country the car is in so i can gaurantee there isn't any autozones there lol. Thanks again ,

maybe mail her a code reader... ? best of luck...I would have e fluid level checked...wish these had a dipstick...its a heck of a procedure to check fluid level

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you