Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

A/C Issue. Worked fine then all of the sudden, hot air.

Customer Question

A/C Issue. Worked fine then all of the sudden, hot air. Checked for Freon and noted the pressure on Freon port was well over 100 PSI. I did not add any Freon at that point. Belt spins pulley EZ enough but clutch not engaging compressor. Even on "vent" and temp all the way to cool feels the same as all the way hot. I did try a new low pressure switch hoping for a quick fix per Google, while on the road. It's a 1999 F-350 V-10 4X4. A/C quit in 5 PM down town Atlanta traffic pulling 32 foot boat....
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Yes, but gauge on Freon can says well over 100 psi. I note no leaking.
JA: What is the model of your '99 Ford?
Customer: XL Lariat F-350 V-10 Triton, automatic 4X4.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I plan on fixing it myself. Owned it for 15 years and do it all!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I did try a new low limit switch while on the road per google over phone/i
nternet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

If it is hot out and the syytem is not running, the freon could still be low if you are checking on the suction side of the system, which is the small port. Now if the system is on and you have that, there is something wrong.

Do you have a standard manifold gauge set that can check both sides? Do you have a multimeter to check for power going to the low pressure switch, the high pressure switch, and then the A/C clutch? This will rule out electrical issues. The manifold set will rule out freon issues.

If you don't have these items, then I suggest having a shop recover the refrigerant, then vacuum the system, and recharge the system to spec. This will make sure you have the correct amount of freon in the system. If that is off a little bit, it will cause the system to not work properly and shut down.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think I was presented with a good plan of attack on fixing my A/C issue. I have volt meter but not the time right now (abscesses tooth) or the manifold guages to properly diagnose the issue. I feel the tech did a great job!
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

When ever you are able to take another look at it, just pop back on to this question and we can continue.

Responses after ratings at the stars above are free. We can go as long as needed.

Take care of that tooth and have a better day!