Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1996 Ford F150 XLT 2wd with the 5.8 l8tr motor. I

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Ford F150 XLT 2wd with the 5.8 l8tr motor. I had to replace the overdrive on off gearshift. I was leaving the house one day and noticed the light for off on the od was illuminated so I pushed it. My truck died. Since I haven't been able to get it to restart. I've changed the solenoid, the coil, and I had done a tune up before all this happened. I'm getting spark but no start.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes to both
JA: What is the model of your '96 Ford?
Customer: F150 XLT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, and I've replaced the solenoid, coil, and I had the week before replaced spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there.

Why was the OD switch replaced? Were there any previous issues with the OD? Is the starter cranking the engine over normally or is it struggling?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The original OD broke off, and the starter is cranking the engine normally
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked the inertia switch and it wasn't tripped, as well as the fuel pump is working

OK. In that case, I don't see the engine dying as a direct consequence of turning the OD on. What I would suggest at this point is diagnosing the no-start condition first, then moving on to any issues with the OD.

There are basic checks that need to be done in order to diagnose the no-start. Those include checking compression, fuel pressure, fuel injection pulse and ignition spark - compression and spark can be checked by spraying starting fluid down the throttle; if the engine starts and runs for a couple of seconds, then compression and spark are good, which leaves either fuel pressure or injection pulse as the possible culprit. Can you try starting fluid and see what happens?

I have to log out for the day. I’ll be back online ready to continue our conversation tomorrow from 2 to 8 PM EST. Please contact customer service at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help if you need immediate assistance.