HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

I need chassis AC help on 2006 ford f53 chassis. Its a

Customer Question

I need chassis AC help on 2006 ford f53 chassis. Its a forest river, georgetown class A RV but the chassis AC is not working. The compressor does not run though there is freon pressure in the system and the fuse is good. I jumped the pressure switch on the AC line and the compressor did not run.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

are you getting power to the compressor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no power to the compressor

have you verified with a test light or volt meter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have verified with test light.connector unplugged, no power to either of the 2 prongs with engine running and AC turned on

is it getting power to the relay

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know which relay it is. looking now to see if I can figure it out. Can you share a wiring diagram with me?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Found it and there is power to the relay. looking at the socket, power is always at top pin, key on power to lower left pin. It is same part # ***** as the horn. The horn works and relay socket has power to points in socket same as the AC relay socket. I swapped horn and AC relays and the horn works with both relays. Does the AC switch provide ground to close the relay energizing circuit?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have confirmed continuity from lower horizontal socket to compress and from compressor to pressure switch. I am not ever getting connection at lower right pin of relay socket to ground. I do get continuity to ground at that pin of the horn socket when the horn button is pushed to close.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was wrong. There is not continuity from compressor to pressure switch. My fluke meter reading changed to a low number and I missed noticing it was meg ohms and that only when I was in the circuit. There is continuity from relay socket lower horizontal pin to the compressor and from compressor to ground. When I apply power to that lower pin the compressor clutch energizes.
What is in the circuit that provides ground to the relay energizing circuit?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when might I expect to get more help on this?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Your other expert opted out.

When you checked the relay, did you have power on both pins 85 and 30? I ask because the power goes from there straight to the clutch. If you have no power to the clutch, but you have power on both of those pins, there is a harness issue that will need to be chased. Can you please verify the power on the A/C clutch relay?

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have confirmed there is 12v to 2 points in the relay socket. I don't know the pin numbers as it is a very difficult place to see and I have not wiring diagram etc which would be helpful if you can share with me. The top horizontal pin (one of the wide ones) has always power. The left lower (vertical small one) had key on power. When I jump power direct to the lower horizontal pin which has continuity to the compressor the compressor clutch engages. I have confirmed that with engine running and the compressor clutch engaged the AC does blow cold air.The other pin in the socket (right small vertical) that I am supposing supplies the ground to energize the relay is open to ground. The pressure switch and the temp switch on the evaporator are both closed.I believe that the circuit I need to trace is the circuit that provides the ground to energize the relay. Can you provide a wiring diagram to help me?I will be away for a few hours but I will reply to what I can answer from my mobile device.Thanks, Keith
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, if you dont have a ground signal to close the relay, then this could be an issue with the PCM. A diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool needs to be done first. Then using the same scan tool you need to be able to look at sensor data to see if the PCM is getting a demand to turn the ac on from the ac switch. If it sees no demand it wont ground it. If it does see a command and wont ground the circuit. Need to verify the wiring from the relay to the pcm ground circuit has continuity and can carry a load,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your helpful reply. I will get someone to put a scan tool on it.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Very good, if you need more help let me know, If I was helpful please leave a positive rating.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for checking back with me. I got the wiring diagram I wanted and asked for early in this request for help and then again later from a free online RV forum from which I got info that identified the problem. The vehicle does need to go to a pro shop for additional service that I don't have the equipment for but I am not pleased with the service I got here at JustAnswer and want my money back on this one. My request for a wiring diagram was never addressed, not even to say it couldn't be shared with me or I would need to pay more money. I suppose I am not the ideal client but I lost time that I don,t get paid for due to being passed around and not getting what I asked for early on.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

No problem, ill mark the question for a request for a refund. Glad you got it fixed!