K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

When going uphill, the ac blows warm. the gas pedal is not

Customer Question

when going uphill, the ac blows warm. the gas pedal is not fully depressed, rpm is around 2.5 to 3. 2005 ford escape.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: the ac blows about 48 degrees when on level ground. Not sure about the hoses.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Ford?
Customer: xlt AWD
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If it is an easy fix, fix it myself, and if not then have someone else fix it. Or is this normal.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 4 months ago.

Hello, does it have the 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
6 cylinder

Thanks, it's likely one of two things

1. The refriferant level is too low and at high RPM the low pressure switch is cutting the compressor

2. The vacuum check valve located near the underhood vacuum reservoir is bad. at higher engine RPM the reservoir holds engine vacuum to operate the air doors, if the check valve is bad the door will move due to the low vacuum and blow warm

I would have the freon checked to begin. An outlet temperature of 48 is too high for a properly charged system. It should be 36-40 degrees.