Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

I just bought an 85 F350 with a 6.9 diesel that was smoking

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I just bought an 85 F350 with a 6.9 diesel that was smoking a lot uphills. The smoking stopped and now won't start without a shot of ether in the morning. After that starts and runs fine. I am changing the fuel filters. Do you think there are more serious problems?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine turns over fine and has two good batteries though they look pretty old.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1985 Ford F350
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Used starter fluid to start in the morning. I can change fuel filters myself but for a fuel pump I would take it to a shop.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Something that caught my attention.

You wrote that it starts fine after the engine is warm? Does the hard starting occur after a certain period of time? I'm asking because there may be a fuel leak on the line somewhere or a bad check valve causing the fuel to drain back. It is either that or the glow plugs need to be changed out and you are getting the difficulty starting from that.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!