Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2000 Ford explorer with a ticking noise. replaced the

Customer Question

2000 Ford explorer with a ticking noise. replaced the tensioners, no the timing chain, not the rocker arm. One tensioner is not filling oil.
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: the car has 175K. the car run okay but sounds awful. Like a card in the spokes of a bike,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fixing it ourselves. We have replaced the tensioners, checked the rocker arms, the timing chains, thermostat housing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: oil is not getting to tensioner. Could it be sludge?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Can you tell where on the engine it sounds worse?

Does the sound or speed of the noise change with rpm?

Does it come in go in park and drive?

Does disabling cylinders by unplugging injectors have any effect on it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
front left side. The sound does change with the rpm . it stays the same in park and drive. yes disabling the injections has an effect

Since it is from the front left does disabling cylinder 4 or 5 almost make the noise go away?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
don't know have not tried that

I am confused. I asked -Does disabling cylinders by unplugging injectors have any effect on it?

You said - yes disabling the injections has an effect

I said- Since it is from the front left does disabling cylinder 4 or 5 almost make the noise go away?

You said - don't know have not tried that

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Never disabled the cylinders. What is the potential problem if the sound goes away when the cylinders are disabled?

When you disable cylinders and this effects the noise this means the noise is coming from the rod, rod bearings, wrist pin, or piston slap. Removing the combustion from the cylinder decreases the pressure on the cylinder which will make noises from any of those possible causes change what your hearing. If there is no effect when doing this then based on it being from the front left it would almost have to be associated with the cam timing components. A stethoscope will make finding the source of the noise much easier.

If your confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If your not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you are pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Are you needing more assistance?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not until we do more investigate more on the car

Thanks, ***** ***** in touch prior to the post timing out.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris