Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

1999 f250 light duty. Theft light flashes rapidly. Turns

Customer Question

1999 f250 light duty. Theft light flashes rapidly. Turns over but will not start. Pcm and fuel pump relays have been swapped and are working. Fuses all look fine. I even tried a new ford pats transceiver and still can't get it started. It is throwing code 13. Disconnected battery, touched terminals, reconnected, disconnected, danced a jig. Still not starting.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Hello, This code is for the pats transceiver that goes around the ignition cylinder. When they fail they won't read the key. You can test to see if you have power and ground on the red and black wire. If you do this will need to be replaced. Once its replaced your vehicle will start and run again.

Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

If you have further questions please let me know. Also please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi James. I bought a brand new transceiver from Ford and still had the same symptoms after installation. Power is good as I checked the codes after I disconnected it and got a code 15.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Code flashes:
1:3 Key code not received. Is key screened by other keys or objects? Try different key: if okay then first key is faulty.
If not go to main dealer

1:4 Partial code only received. Try again. If not okay use different key.
If not go to main dealer

1:5 Key not programmed into PATS. Program key as above using master

1:6 Faulty link between PATS module and EECV
Go to main dealer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I read that same info online. And the other key does not work either.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

You swapped the PCM power relay with no difference correct? you replaced the transceiver from Ford and the code changed from 13 to 15? Did you try swapping the PCM diode to see if it makes a difference?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct. I did not check the pcm diode. I'm assuming it's in the fusebox under the hood? Can I swap it for another one in the same box?
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Yes there should be an AC diode next to the PCM diode. Try swapping these and see if it makes a difference.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The diodes are little black plastic guys in the front of the under hood fuse box correct?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Found them. Switched them and still the flashing theft light and no start.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

They are. How many keys do you have programmed? Is code 15 all you are getting now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Code 13 is the only code. There are two keys and neither work.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

My next step would be to reprogram the keys. I am guessing you don't have the tools for that? I can opt out and see if another expert has a different option for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
K. I do not have the equipment for that.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

In most cases, the keys last for the life of the truck. It's either the transceiver not sending the right signal to the instrument cluster, or the cluster itself not communicating with the PCM what causes the PATS to activate.

Ford made it real hard for a thief to steal that truck. So hard, that only qualified service facilities and licensed locksmiths have access to the tools that allow communication with these Passive Anti Theft Systems (PATS). In your case, I would suggest contacting your local licensed locksmith as a cheaper option to having to tow the truck to a Ford shop.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The locksmith will charge me $260 to rekey it. It sounds pretty pricey for something that may or may not work. If it's the transceiver or module, will a locksmith be able to tell me without rekeying it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a way for me to check if the cluster is sending the signal? As stated prior I have checked the transceiver with a brand new Ford one and it still made no difference.

A Ford NGS scan tool would be needed to check the cluster signals, whether IN from the transceiver or OUT to the PCM.

I agree with you that $260 is a lot of money - and how does he know it needs rekeying? If I were you, I would shop around until I found a locksmith that had experience with Ford trucks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I notice that the odometer will sometimes be blank. No characters or dashes at all. Possibly a loose wire causing both issues? Should I pull the cluster and see? Or is it an internal wiring issue that might be causing the no-start? In other words, if the cluster plug is dirty, unplugged, or not getting a good connection will any of these cause my PATS no-start issue?

It could be a loose wire or a bad connection. You hurt nothing by trying, so go ahead and take the cluster out and see how everything fits back there. If nothing jumps at you, then it's probably an internal failure.

In that case, I'm afraid is a mandatory trip to Ford to get a new cluster programmed to the truck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will a used cluster work if programmed by a Ford dealer?

Yes, it would. The main thing would be to have it programmed.

By the way, it might help you to know their lingo when talking to those folk; Ford calls it "configuring the cluster" :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Lol. Thanks Juan!

My pleasure.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I towed it to the dealer and they want $600 to replace the $75 transceiver. They say it's due to the need to program the pats after the install. I'm really in a pickle now. Is this really the case that it needs programming? If so, can locksmiths do the programming?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Some locksmiths do the whole thing, including configuring. If I were you, I'd shop around to see where I could get the best deal.

I have to log out for the day. I’ll be back online ready to continue our conversation tomorrow from 2 to 8 PM EST. Please contact customer service at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help if you need immediate assistance.