rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Truck dies randomly. Pulled over noticed power steering cap

Customer Question

Truck dies randomly. Pulled over noticed power steering cap blew off. Put it back on and now it's running fine. Is that normal
JA: Have you checked the power steering fluid? Will the wheel turn at all?
Customer: Yes. Drove it another 2 miles
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 95 f150 XL am having other issues also don't know if they are related just wanna know why truck shut down
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 1995
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced spark
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Replaces Plugs, plugs wires, distributor cap, rotor, EGR valve, TPS, cleaned IAC, cleaned throttle body. Still having rough idle issues and no low end power.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

When it stalls, check for spark at the plugs when cranking it, then check fuel pressure with a gauge, we need to know what we're losing.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's only done it once. There is spark and the fuel pumps are good.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
41 psi
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Okay, then that can be very difficult to find. The most common issue and cause would be a CRANK sensor that gets hot and quits momentarily.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have a crank sensor. This truck has a pip sensor. But truck starts and runs just fine. My problem is rough idle and no
Low end power