James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

I'm having issues with my 06 F250 power stroke.. over the

Customer Question

I'm having issues with my 06 F250 power stroke.. over the last few winters my tach would act up... irratic tach readings. Now my cluster dies while driving.... when it does I loose my cluster gauges power windows and radio. My indicator lights(turn/seatbelt) still work along with everything else. Up fitters, break controller, and my SCT scanner still reads my gauges through the obd2.... ***** Is there an easy way to rule out the Control module? To help pinpoint the cluster as the faulty item? *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.
Hello, have you done any testing yet? If so what?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Testing as far as what? I'm not exactly sure what I should be testing... hence the question about trying to roll out the control module.....
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.
Without some high end diagnostic equipment testing can be hard. If you have power and ground to the cluster when it isn't working you have an issue with the cluster. You can mail out the instrument cluster for testing which is the cheapest route?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's what I'm trying to figure before sending it out... my understanding is that everything that's a problem can be the PTCM or the cluster.... I imagine if it was the PTCM and I would have more problems though? I shift points and engine issues?
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.
If you had an issue with the PCM your issues would be different as well as you would have more. The IC controls the accessory delay for Windows and radio. The tach quitting is also a common failure on the IC. Based off the issues you have I would say 98% your IC is failing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does the obd2 run through the PCM or is it tied into something else?
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

The OBD connector ties all of the modules together so they can communicate. There is a wire that goes from the OBD to the PCM and IC as well as other modules.

I see you haven't given me a rating yet. Please do so I can receive credit for assisting you and get paid. Thank you. If you have other questions please let me know.