George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

The clutch would not fully disengage. could not get into

Customer Question

the clutch would not fully disengage. could not get into gear with engine running and truck would try to creep forward when I tried to put it in first. I shut off engine and put it in first and started it back up and it crept forward and the clutch not being fully disengaged could be heard. I drove it to my house and after I took off from a dead stop the clutch worked fine. I didn't drive it very far but since the clutch worked for me every other time after moving from that dead stop I opened inspection window on transmission and saw no sign of fluid leaking from slave cylinder and fluid reservoir was full though fluid was very dark. I am wondering if since this appears to be an intermittent problem if maybe the clutch just needs to be bled.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes the engine turns over. I don't know how old the battery is, the truck does not actually belong to me
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 ford ranger with 2.3 I4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am planning on fixing it myself. I haven't started taking it apart yet. I was going to change the slave cylinder but want to make sure that's the problem before I drop the transmission
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am replacing the bushings on the shifter as well because I know they are bad which is why I have the truck right now just happened to develop clutch problem when he was bringing it to my house
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If you look through the inspection hole with a good flashlight is it wet in there? Is the level in the master cylinder low?

If the answer is yes then you do need to drop the transmission and replace the clutch, pressure plate and slave cylinder along with the pilot bearing. Doing the shifter bushings at the same time is a good idea as you will have access to the top of the transmission.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you