A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

We get a message that says system start fault or someone's

Customer Question

We get a message that says system start fault or someone's or something *
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Yes. Battery is charged. It's a 2015 f350
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The remote start will start it and as soon as you put key in it shuts down and alarm starts going off
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: We have tried filling fuse 18...shut everything down. And yes trying to fix it ourselves
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm pretty sure I paid....went through PayPal. When will we hear from technician
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.

How man keys do you have for the F350?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2 sets but our extra set is not with us.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a security fuse we could pull until we get home where our extra set is?

No on the fuse. The problem is with the PATS key system. The PATS system needs to see the chip in the key to allow the vehicle to start. If it does not see the chip, it thinks the vehicle is being stolen and disables the starting system and the message "Starting System Fault" appears in the message center. Can you give me the VIN# ***** the mileage so I can check the warranty status?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Warranty should be good as we just got the pickup few months ago. We have someone bringing our other set of keys to us. They should work correct?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The set that won't work for submerged in water accidentally so that probably fried the chip?

If the problem is the key, yes. But if it something else in the PATS system, no.

If the key was under water, it is bad. The circuits get shorted out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
guess all we can do then is wait for our other set of keys to arrive and hope they work. And if not we will have to have our local repair shop tow us

If the key worked when parked, and then it got wet, the problem is the key. You should be ok.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yep it all worked fine until the key for wet. And when you first turn the key all the electronics light up and the seat goes to programmed position and then when you go to turn it over it does nothing. Thank you for the help though and confirming our suspicion that nothing we can do with the wet set :)

You will have to replace the wet key. Drying it out will not fix it.