Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 96 F350 diesel, something is draining my batteries,

Customer Question

Hi, This is Mark, I have a 96 F350 diesel, something is draining my batteries, & I also do not have turn signals or brake lights. The high center brake light works, I replaced the multi-function switch because the intermittent wiper switch was going bad, but this didn't fix the light problem, all fuses check ok. Any ideas would be great. Thanks, Mark
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: I have checked all fuses in both boxes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 96 F350 diesel 5 speed manual
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 1996
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, hoping to fix myself, checked fuses, replaced multi-function switch
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Have you checked to see how much of a draw you have with everything off yet?

And do you want to work on the battery drain or the turn signal issue? We are only allowed to help with one issue per question. Ill be happy to work on both but a seperate question will have to be opened unless fixing one happens to fix the other too.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Wayne I would like to work on the battery drain problem, not sure how to check to see how much of a draw. The truck has 2 batteries. I disconnected 1 battery, then working with the connected battery, I had the neg cable on the battery, I disconnected the pos cable & connected the volt meter between the pos post & the pos cable. With nothing turned on I read battery voltage.

Set it to AMPS DC. Not volts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On dc amps I read .2
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry that should read 2 amps

Start pulling fuses one at a time till it drops and let me know which fuse dropped it.