Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My edge started bucking last night and the check engine

Customer Question

My edge started bucking last night and the check engine light came on. The RPMs were hovering around 1500. Earlier in the day it had done the same thing, and I put a bottle of fuel injection cleaner in it and the light went off and the bucking stopped..
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: It flickered, and went off. It came on again about 5 miles later and stayed on.
JA: What year is your Edge?
Customer: Yes. Last week, the same thing happened after I filled up with regular unleaded gas (I usually use premium unleaded). I thought it was bad fuel, and after a bottle of fuel injection cleaner was put in (with a full tank of premium unleaded gas), the light went off.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it is a 2007.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Right now it is parked at a hotel (I stopped driving it and booked a room for the night). So I do not need roadside assistance. I do have AAA.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I also smelled a tinny smell.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started. Do you know the codes in the computer?

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!