Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I have a problem with my ignition key switch, when i turn to

Customer Question

I have a problem with my ignition key switch, when i turn to start my 1998 ford contour it doesn't start lights come on but nothing and when i turn to start instead there's a small led light rite next to the clock bottons flashes fast and i get no start. Is there any way i can defuse and or by bass the system completely altogether i cant afford another one nor have my car towed neither.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Yes its in park, but this was the first time ever that i seen the light flash fast while i was trying to start. Do you mean the steering wheel when you ask about wheel lock?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and i even pulled the steering wheel housing apart and took the ignition module apart and together and the same but i seen some kind a round black part around the ignition lock and has wires connected to it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No i was trying to fix this myself, but its not doing nothing but the light by the clock flashing fast each time i turn to the on position and or trying to start it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Bad news is you can't bypass the system. It is built into the computer.

On the starter you can try jumping it and see if it will start. Sometimes that will get the vehicle started if this one doesn't have the fuel pump shut down on it as well. If so, you will need to jump the fuel pump relay.

Otherwise, the vehicle will need to be towed for a key programming. I wish there was a better way.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont want to reprogram the key the is on its last legs it wont pass the emissions here in Illinois its got an engine light on and its coming up with al kinds of codes, from internal vacuum leaks in the engine block to a fuel regulator to excesive gas burning and smell and its also miss firing, with the contour i have to take 10 things apart just to get to 1 item in that car. I just want to by pass around it some how? If it means jerry-rigin it. The car is far gone to just fix it correctly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i when you turn the key to the on position each time i can hear the fuel pump energize build up the presure. So yes fuel system in not effected.