Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

1989ford taurus 3.0 will not run slow .unles ipullthe

Customer Question

1989ford taurus 3.0 will not run slow .unles ipullthe truttel cable
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

this sounds like the throttle cable may be binding up?

I'd try disconnecting the cable from the throttle as the 1st step and then see if the throttle snaps shut

if it does then I'd consider replacing the cable with a new item

also check on the intake for any possible leaks after the throttle / like broken vacuum pipes or leaks as these will pull air past the throttle and allow the engine to rev up

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you