Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

2003 f150 180k goes to hot reason. then comes back like its

Customer Question

2003 f150 180k goes to hot for no reason. then comes back like its not really overheating but it triggers ac to shut down veh stalls and chk eng light comes on because gauge goes full hot.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: at idle/ code was for a temp sensor by intake manifold is new from ford. no coolant leaks. no headgasket issue after test/ok. overflow cap can be removed and top hose can be held so it hasnt ran hot.
JA: What is the model of your '03 Ford?
Customer: 2003 4.6 2wd f150
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced hoses, tstat, coolant, recharged a/c, and temp sensor. drives good then all of a sudden goes to hot. Idles for an hour no problem then next day it will act up?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: if you shut the veh off when it goes to hot and eng light comes on and then restart it the gauge goes back to normal and you can drive off untill it happens again. Crazy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

You can grab the top hose when this happens and the engine is wram? That is signs of a water pump spinning freely on the shaft or the thermostat. You mentioned you did the thermostat already. Did you do the water pump?

Was the harness tested for the coolant temp sensor for the PCM back to the PCM for shortages in that harness? If you did the sensor and didn't do the plug end, I suggest getting a pigtail kit and replacing that plug end. This will rule out the electrical and possibly even solve this intermittent issue. With it being intermittent, I am thinking the plug end is loose and not contacting correctly causing the issue.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

I would replace that plug first and move from there. If it was the water pump, it should do it all the time and you just ruled out the t-stat when you replaced it.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.