Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner

I am helping a friend repair their damaged 2005 F150 5.4l.

Customer Question

I am helping a friend repair their damaged 2005 F150 5.4l. The center support bearing on the drive shaft broke while they where driving, causing the shaft to drop to the ground. The front portion of the shaft severely damaged back half of the transmission. Both the drive shaft assembly and transmission where replaced with used parts. After installing everything the trans went into limp mode, and threw a p0720 code. I swapped the output speed sensor with the one origanlly in the truck and cleared the codes. This got rid of the code. Now the dash light is off and no codes are showing. My problem is that the the car feels like it is still in limp mode. When pulling off from a stop it feels like the trans is starting off in second or third gear. No power, miss firing, bogging down, ect. What steps can I take to remedy this problem? Thanks in advance
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

It sounds like you got a bad transmission. If it was electrical and thus in "limp mode" there would be codes associated with it. It sounds like yours has a mechanical issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there any way short of a tear down to verify this?

Do you have a gauge to check line pressures?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can get one.

Also does your scan tool show the shift solenoids status?

I am attaching a diagram showing where to test line pressures. Get that checked and let me know what you got.

Sorry here is the diagram.