Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Speedometer worked intermittently replaced sensor on trans

Customer Question

Speedometer worked intermittently replaced sensor on trans mission,replaced sensor on rear end, replaced complete instrument cluster.
JA: Which sensor are you asking about? O2? MAP? Did any codes pop up?
Customer: the sensors replaced were the ABS speed sensor and the MPE Sensor
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 159,000 miles purchased new in 1997
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a mechanic doing the work , he is Certified been a mechanic for twenty five years he put a diagnostic reader, no codes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: We tried replacing the plastic gear in the dash, did't fix problem so replaced complete instrument panel, vehicle has never been off road
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What do you need help with. I dont really see a question in what you have said.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
speedometer still not working, replaced sensor on transmission and ABS, Replace complete instrument panel, still does not work. What do I do now?

Are you able to do any testing? That should have been done as step 1 and still hasnt been so that would be where I would start.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mechanic tested with diagnostic meter, no code found he works full time at an auto shop, been working on vehicles for twenty five years,I'm diabled veteran and can't do work myself. What else is there left to check, He said he doesn't know what else to try

That scan tool is not a replacement for a mechanic. Just a moment while I pull up your vehicle and look it over.

OK, The VSS sends a signal to both the PCM and cluster. Does the VSS signal in the PCM show correctly on the scan tool?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will have to call y mechanic and see if that was done, I will get right back to you

Im gonna submit an offer to walk your mechanic through testing this. Its not that hard but it will be quicker and not involve your input if I call him directly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mechanic thinks there is a broken part in transfer case inside transmission as there was no codes.

Do you feel you have wasted enough money on his guesses? If he would spend 10 minutes and follow my instructions he will KNOW whats wrong with it. Not think,.

If hes not willing to properly diagnose it if I were you I would go pick the thing up and take it elsewhere and I wouldnt pay him one red cent. He hasnt accurately diagnosed or fixed anything and you owe him nothing for his education.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mechanic is going out of town in a few minutes he said he could call on Monday, He was only involved when parts I was told to replace didn't fix problem. He then ran meter tests , so he was doing what I was told to replace.
,

Monday works with me. If you accept the offer for the additional service I will call him monday and we will get it worked out. It wont take ten minutes to figure out for absolute certain if he follows my instructions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, his number is(###) ###-####His name is***** he works from 7:00 a.m. until 5:30 P.M. but this is his cell number that he has on his side 24/7.

Where in Il are you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Granite City, IL across the river from St. Louis, MO

Just curious. I am in St Louis. That number I think is from the east side.

Thats what I was thinking. Howdy neighbor ;)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that's correct, he works in Madison, IL Howdy Wayne

Well I got his number and like I said I will call monday but you do have to accept the additional service offer for me to be able to contact him. It would be against my rules for me to contact him without the additional service.

If he cant get this thing properly diagnosed you may need to make a trip across the river. I know a great mechanic over there ;)

Also does he have a time he prefers the call?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, sounds like a winner
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He never said what time to call , if he is on a tow job, he will ask for your number to call you back

Alright. Ill just call him in the morning and if he has a better time he will let me know.

Just be sure you accept the additional service sometime between now and then or I wont be able to. Otherwise I will talk to him then and let you know what we find out.